Monday, January 13, 2014

Our First Trip to the Maternity Store

When I first found out I was pregnant, I told myself that I was not going to go crazy and buy a bunch of maternity clothes.  I didn't want to spend money on something I could only wear for a few months and I have lots of loose shirts that I could make work (at least until the end).  

HOWEVER, after the Christmas-eve-nothing-fits-me-anymore fiasco, I broke down and decided it was time for a few maternity shirts (plus, I needed a dress that would actually fit me for a wedding that upcoming weekend). So I dragged Ryan along and off to Motherhood Maternity we went. Of course, what ended up happening was exactly what I was afraid of... I loved EVERYTHING!  I have always preferred empire waist clothing, (I just HATE the way natural waist clothes look on my body - and since that is what's "in" right now, that's pretty much all you can find at normal people stores.)  This was an entire store full of empire-waisted clothing!!  I seriously wish normal shopping was as easy as maternity clothes shopping.  So fun and easy!  I ended up getting several shirts and a cute and comfy dress.  TOTALLY worth it.  I am however, going to hold off on buying maternity jeans for as long as possible.  My regular jeans still fit, although I pretty much wear leggings 99% of the time anyway.  


Side note:  I will admit that I occasionally still shop at Forever21 (it's usually hit or miss though).  Judge me all you want, but I had GREAT luck finding a lot of loose clothing there for SUPER cheap!  And bonus - I can still wear those clothes after the baby comes and I won't be "that girl" still wearing maternity clothes a year later.  (I am determined not to be that girl!)  Rumor has it that Forever21 had a maternity line at some point, which I was super excited about until I found out that it no longer existed.  Apparently people go upset because they felt that this promoted teen pregnancy.  Seriously?  "OMG have you seen Forever21's maternity line?  Those clothes are so super cute I think I'm going to get pregnant so I can wear them."  Maybe there actually are people out there dumb enough to think like that... but I'm still mad at those people who got upset about maternity clothes.  At a clothing store.  A "Women's Clothing Store" according to every mall directory everywhere.  Called forever TWENTY ONE.  It's not like they were selling maternity clothes at Justice or something.  Comeon people.  


Since we are new to this whole "pregnancy" thing, there were a few things that we discovered that we were unfamiliar with/never knew existed.  Yes, we thought these things were hilarious. Here are just a few pictures of our discoveries...


In every dressing room at Motherhood Maternity, they have these belly pads available so that you can see how things will fit once you are further along.  I'm not sure I needed THIS much more of a bump on top of my own growing belly. Silly.  But very smart.  What a great idea!


She seems so happy to have a machine sucking her boobs dry while she catches up on emails and checks her facebook.  My favorite part about this: "gives you the freedom to do other things while pumping".  Like you're going to go bake some cookies, play with the dog or check the mail or something.  It looks funny and I laugh now... but I do plan on EPing (exclusively pumping) after the first week or so... (I'll go into that more later).  So this might actually come in handy.  So that I can, you know, go vacuum the stairs while I pump. (**Update:  Yes, I realize that to a lot of people this is not a strange sight.  But to anyone like ourselves who is totally new to this - this thing looks so crazy!  I will say though, that the further along in this process we get the less alien these types of things look.  Even since posting this several weeks ago, this crazy contraption looks a lot more...."normal" than it did initially.  But I still wanted to share this experience with those who have never seen anything like this before!) 




This is OFFICIALLY the first item that I purchased for the baby.  I saw it on sale at MM and just could not resist.  I love it SO much and almost start crying every time I look at it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment