Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Bellybutton situation

As I have said in the past... I have always been TERRIFIED at the thought of my bellybutton popping out during pregnancy.  I have always had an innie and it's real sensitive!  So here's the situation...  I am 25 weeks pregnant and it still hasn't popped.  Will it pop out in the next 15 weeks?  I'm hoping it won't, but there's still plenty of time.

Here's what it started off looking like...

Nice tiny bellybutton.

Now here is what it looks like at 25 weeks...

Bellybutton definitely opening up, but not popped.  (And no stretch marks yet - yay!)

*** Side note: Despite the terrible lighting in these pictures, you can also see that I have developed a dark line running from my sternum all the way down my abdomen.  I started noticing this around 21 weeks or so and it's still fairly light. This is called the Linea Nigra and is actually caused by pregnancy hormones (the same hormones that cause darkening of other areas during pregnancy as well... like freckles, areolas and the external vaginal area in case you were wondering!)

And in case you wanted to see it even CLOSER...


I have had my appendix removed as well as my gallbladder and both surgeries were performed laparoscopically (this means rather than just making one large incision, 3-4 tiny holes were made for each surgical tool to go in through.)  Both of these procedures required surgeons to go in through my bellybutton, so I have double scar tissue in/under it.  (If you look really closely, you might be able to see the other 5 scars in the first picture.)  It almost looks as though the scar tissue is helping to hold my bellybutton in...  Some bellybuttons never pop and I'm hoping this scar is going to help me be one of those people!!  Fingers crossed!!!

On a different note...  today we are officially 100 DAYS from our due date!!!  AAHH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment