Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Awesome Recipe Alert!!!

Okay so maybe I'm just super hungry (and currently smelling this amazingness cooking on my stove!) but I just love this recipe SO much I can't even stand not sharing it!! It's SO good, creates minimal dirty dishes and is nice and healthy (and can even be paleo if that's your fancy)! I discovered this recipe during my 2015 New Years resolution to cook one new recipe per week for the entire year. I have increased the number of meals in our regular rotation significantly, and this one is DEFINITELY on our list of regulars now!

Here's the link!! Skinny Orange Chicken

Photo courtesy of addapinch.com!!


So a few of my personal notes on this recipe...

- I DO still cook the chicken in coconut oil (I think this really enhances the flavor significantly!) BUT rather than the coconut aminos I prefer just regular old soy sauce. (Probably because I am a sodium junkie, unfortunately...but I love soy sauce! Sue me!)

- I would also recommend at LEAST doubling the amount of sauce you make... because I guarantee you that no matter how much you make it will not be enough! I can never get enough (also you want to have enough for leftovers). I think tonight I quadrupled the amount of sauce partially by accident but I'm pumped for the extra!!

- Allot a minimum of 15-20 minutes for the sauce to reduce. I promise you - it WILL eventually get nice and thick (which is what you want). Thin sauce will still taste okay but it just won't be the same!

- I throw the chicken into the pan with the sauce rather than pouring over. I just like to make sure the chicken is nice and coated, then I'll spoon a little extra on top once served.

- We like to make this with plain steamed broccoli (raw broccoli steamed over boiling water - no oil no butter!) and white or brown rice. Ryan makes rice in a glass bowl in the microwave which is AWESOME and impossible to burn. (For just the 2 of us, he does 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water for 5 minutes on high 15 minutes on medium.) This is probably a little bit more rice than 2 people need +leftovers but I would rather not run out!

Happy cooking and Happy New Years!


No comments:

Post a Comment