Thursday, March 19, 2015

Our Party



I was going through our wedding pictures recently and came across this shot.  I actually stopped and looked at it and realized how much I love this picture.  I love it for many reasons, but mostly because it sums up our entire day in one single photo.  My husband and me, surrounded by all those who we love.  The most important thing to me that day was to marry my best friend.  Our wedding will never be featured on anyone's blog.  The venue wasn't one of Houstons trendiest or most attractive.  Our bouquets didn't contain flowers that looked super modern or "in".  We didn't have one of the top wedding photographers in the city.  There weren't flowers on every table.  But to me... none of that really mattered.  We could have gotten married in a shack and wearing rags... as long as the shack could hold a few hundred people.  It's so easy to get lost in those details and lose sight of what the day is really about throughout the planning process.  But if I could do it over again... would I have picked a prettier venue?  Waited another year so I could have had a bigger budget?  Spent more on flowers?  Dedicated more time to decorations?  Absolutely not.  All I wanted to do was get married to the love of my life and then have a giant party with our friends and family.  Make a commitment to God and to each other.  Eat BBQ and cake.  Spend the whole day looking into each other's eyes, dancing and kissing and briefly forgetting that anyone else was around...and that awesome party afterwards surrounded by 225 of our closest friends and family who lifted us up physically, emotionally and spiritually.  And that is exactly what that day was about.  Ryan, Me and God.  Nothing else. Your wedding day is this strange (yet absolutely beautiful) combination of feeling so surrounded, enveloped and embraced by every single person in your life yet also, at the same exact time feeling like you and your husband are the only two people in the room...or on the entire planet for that matter. To me, this picture depicts that so perfectly, and reminds me about what was most important to me on that day and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment