Wednesday, March 4, 2015

3rd and 4th Trimester Running...and Beyond! (Part 1)

Read about my first and second trimester running experience here!

Just to recap, throughout my pregnancy, I would try to get in at least 2 runs per week, between 3 – 5 miles per run.  I ran a half marathon at 13 weeks, a 10K at 14 weeks, another 10K at 29 weeks and my last 10K at 37 weeks.  I went on my last run (3 miles) on May 8th at 38 weeks pregnant and delivered Heidi 12 days later.

So let’s pick up where we left off, shall we? 

Third trimester running - I think the first question people would ask me when they found out I was still running was “HOW??”  Well, to be honest I was able to keep running for two reasons.  First of all, He-who-is-in-control (aka God) blessed me with a very easy and complication-free pregnancy.  There was no medical reason why I couldn't continue to run and my doctor continued to give me the green light.  Secondly, (and this is almost as big as the first) I just never stopped.  Had I taken an extended period of time off from running, I’m not sure I could have picked it back up again.  My body was growing and changing so fast, I was scared to stop running.  I was afraid that if I stopped and then tried to get back out there I wouldn't be able to do it.  The longest that I went without a run while pregnant was 11 or 12 days…once over Christmas (because duh) and another time because I was SUPER sick (like, flu sick).  I also continued to focus ONLY on completing the runs without walking and NOT on how fast I was going.  Speed and pace was definitely NOT a concern whatsoever.  Because of my slower pace, as well an extra 30-40 lbs. I was carrying around with me, my legs continued to get very fatigued during runs and oh MAN was I sore by the afternoon! My whole body ached.  However, it was never a “bad” sore… always a “good” sore.  I like that good sore feeling (always have) because it means you’re DOING something! 

I never experienced any Braxton hicks, contractions/cramps, false labor, etc. but I do recall one run in particular where I had to stop.  I guess I was just having an off day and just couldn't do it.  It hurt, I was uncomfortable, sore, fatigued… I didn't make it very far and had to stop.  Perhaps I was just too tired, hadn't eaten or hydrated enough or the baby was in a strange position.   I knew there wasn't anything seriously wrong, but it was still upsetting to me that I wasn't able to complete my run and also because this was just a few days before I was supposed to run a 10K (I was 29 weeks at the time).  I was so frustrated with myself, that I rested a little during the day and ended up going back out that evening and running 4 miles.  I went into the race that Saturday knowing that I may or may not be able to finish, but not long after I started I knew I was going to be able to do it.  I felt great! 

My last race was at 37 weeks.  I went into it knowing that if I wasn’t feeling well I could stop after 5K (this particular race happened to be one big loop – one lap was a 5K and two laps was a 10K.  Usually, I find this extremely annoying but it actually was comforting knowing if I needed to stop after 5K I would already be at the finish line.)  When I had completed the first lap, I was feeling good (although, going EXTREMELY slow) and turned around to do the second half of the race.  I felt like I was one of the last people to finish but… I did it!!  I went on one more run after that race (at 38 weeks pregnant) and by then the weather was getting hot, I was distracted with other things and felt like I was ready to just focus on waiting for baby.   I don’t actually recall making a conscious decision or having the thought “Okay this is the last run!” I think it just happened that way.  Like I said, there were plenty of other things/distractions at that point, not to mention - I was frickin huge!!

In case there are any questions...

Before the Bayou City Classic (29 weeks preggy)

After!

No beer for me :( 

Before the Lone Star Stampede (37 weeks preggy)

After... DID IT!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a runner as well, but I have issues with having to pee soooooo often. How did you combat that?

    ReplyDelete