Monday, January 26, 2015

Recipe - Red Wine Chicken

This weeks recipe is one of my faves!  Adopted from Chef Meg's Red Wine Chicken recipe. Enjoy!

Chicken Breasts with Red Wine Sauce

Minutes to prepare: 10 minutes
Minutes to cook: 45 minutes
Number of servings:  6 servings*

2 T canola oil (I will sometimes use olive oil instead.  I'm an olive oil junkie so I typically use at least twice a much as a recipe calls for.  Oops!)
16 oz. chicken breast, skinless and boneless (You can also buy breast tenders and save yourself a step!)
1/2 yellow or white onion, sliced (I do not like onions, so I usually only use a half an onion in recipes.  But if you like em - use the whole thing!)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, with liquid
1 c mushrooms, quartered
1 clove garlic, minced (I buy the jarred pre-minced garlic and IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE PEOPLE.  DO IT.  I promise you won't regret it. You can usually find it in the produce section not too far from the reg. garlic.)
4 oz (1/2 c) red wine (Don't use cooking wine!  I usually just dump whatever I happen to be drinking at the time in there - most likely a malbec or cabernet, but sometimes zinfandel or Menage a Trois!)
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 t chili powder
1 t thyme
2 t Dijon mustard


Slice the chicken breasts in half (if you bought breasts) and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with pepper. Place the oil in a heavy bottom medium size saucepan with lid; once the oil is hot, add the chicken. Lightly brown the chicken on all sides, remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions and mushrooms to the hot pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until the onions turn light brown. Add the wine; stir to combine with the vegetables and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove bits. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the wine reduces by half in volume. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan. Return the chicken to the pan. Bring mixture to a simmer and then reduce heat to low. Cover with a lid and simmer for 35-40 minutes. 
(You can garnish with chopped parsley, if you have some on hand.  I have found however, that I usually end up throwing 90% of it out if I just buy it to use as garnish for one dish though.)

*Makes 6 servings with 3 ounces of chicken per serving.  (We must eat way more than normal people because between Ryan and I, I find that this usually makes closer 3-4 servings!) Serve with half a cup of brown (or white) rice per serving and you choice of steamed veggie or salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment