Monday, January 19, 2015

Recipe - Lentil Soup

I decided that it's time to start incorporating some recipes into this thing (and since I pretty much alter every recipe I come across, I figured this would also help me to remember WHAT I actually changed!)

Every Monday this year (or as often as I can actually make this happen) I will post a new recipe.  Also - know that I am NOT a professional chef!  All of these recipes are super beginner to medium beginner level.  (The hardest most annoying part will probably be chopping up veggies!) I will never post a recipe that I have not personally made myself, and I will always credit the original source, unless I have drastically changed the recipe.  That being said, I would also LOVE to try some new recipes -  so feel free to send your favorites my way!

I will be kicking off "Project Recipe 2015" with a super basic one - Lentil soup!  (If you live in Houston, this might be a good one to curl up on the couch with this Thursday when the weather is supposed to get cold and wet again.) This recipe was originally sent to me by a coworker, but I have made some changes.  Here we go!


Lentil Soup

Minutes to prepare: 15 minutes
Minutes to cook: 60-70 minutes
Number of servings:  4-6ish servings

1 lb. Italian seasoned ground turkey (Jennie-o makes this pre-seasoned and it's all I ever use!  You can also substitute ½ pound bulk Italian sausage if you just can't live without the real stuff.)
½ large onion, chopped (unless you really like onions and you want to dump the whole thing in there - go for it!)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 cups chicken broth (If you're using condensed canned broth, use 2 cans and add 1 cup of water.)
1 can (14 ½ ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp(ish) crushed red pepper flakes (You can add more if you prefer things more on the spicy side - just be careful because a little bit goes a long way!  ) 
1 c. beer (This is a total guess.  I usually just eyeball it and dump as much as I feel like in there.)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¾ cup dried lentils, rinsed (confession - I have never rinsed them. Oops.)

In a Dutch oven, brown the meat.  (If you're using "lean" or "extra lean" no need to drain.)  Add the onion, green pepper, carrot, broth, tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.  Add lentils and beer.  Reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 60 – 70 minutes or until the lentils are tender. (Sometimes we crack into it before the 60 minutes are up and its just fine... so if you're impatient like me...) I usually serve with a salad or if I'm super hungry I might also add a dinner roll too. 


Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment