Sunday, January 10, 2016

Last Year's Resolution - Part 2 (Easy,Semi-Healthy,Creamy Chicken Enchilada Recipe!)



Continued from previous post: Last Year's Resolution - Part 1!

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Minutes to prepare: 15 minutes
Minutes to cook: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 servings 

1 pint (aka 2 cups) greek yogurt  (The original recipe called for sour cream - but I opted for the healthier alternative. Both work!)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (4 ounce) cans green chillies, diced
6-10 flour tortillas (whole wheat or regular)
12oz -16oz shredded cheddar cheese (or 1 small package - I personally prefer to grate my own!) 
3 chicken breasts pre-cooked and cut up OR a Rotisserie Chicken! (I always have cooked shredded chicken hanging out in the freezer in 2 cup portions, so that's what we used! Next time I will probably use a little more than that though.)
1-2 t paprika
1-2 t cayenne pepper
1-2 t cumin
2 T chili powder

Preheat oven to 350*F. Combine soup, sour cream, chilies and spices in a bowl. Take 3/4 cup of soup mixture and slather the entire bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. This will be a thin layer that will help the enchiladas from sticking to the bottom. In each tortilla, layer soup mixture, cheese & chicken. Roll up and place in casserole dish. Top with remaining soup mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.

I haven't quite figured out how to get the tortillas a little crispy yet. I wouldn't want them to be stiff or chewy... and actually I really didn't mind them being so soft and raw, but it probably would have been better if they were slightly toasted or something... Hmmm... Next time I suppose!

Here is the recipe I based this off of, before adding my own alterations: http://numstheword.com/creamy-chicken-enchiladas/

No comments:

Post a Comment