Thursday, November 9, 2017

Why a Summer Pregnancy (in Houston) Isn't All That Bad

This past pregnancy was my first time experiencing a summer pregnancy! Heidi was born in May and Wells was born in March, so having a September baby brought on some new experiences. I honestly always thought that having a summer pregnancy would be the worst thing in the world for me - especially in Houston. I am someone who is always always super hot and sweaty and it doesn't take much for me to turn into a hot sweaty mess. BUT I honestly didn't hate being pregnant during summer months to be the worst thing in the world! There are obviously a few annoying things about that but there were way more positives than I thought so I thought I would share in case anyone out there is panicking about being 9 months pregnant in the summer.

Let's talk about a few (obvious) cons first...


CONS
- Summer pregnancy made keeping up with running/working out very difficult for me. With previous pregnancies lasting mostly through winter months and ending during the spring, I was able to really keep up with running in the past - continuing up until about week 37/week 38. I ran until 38 weeks pregnant, and only stopped because physically it became too difficult (and I was ready to start focusing on the arrivals of my babies). I normally don't run much in the summer at all since it gets so hot here, so throwing pregnancy on top of that heat/humidity made it even more difficult to feel motivated. I also want to be safe too - getting overheated is not an option during pregnancy!

- ALCOHOL! I have never really missed alcohol THAT much during a pregnancy before, but this time it was tough! During winter months, I typically stick to red wine and during past pregnancies didn't really care too much about not drinking. But this time, with the hot weather... there were MANY times where all I wanted was a nice cold beer or a cool glass of white wine. Luckily hubby usually let me have a few sips of his beer to satisfy the craving.

- Alone time during summer months is hard to come by! During the school year, having those 1-2 days per week of "alone time" during MDO/preschool really helps keep a mama sane. Summer means 5 days a week all day of trying to balance being a mom and also attempting to get stuff (anything) done. So the lack of "me" time (or even just running an errand sans BOTH kids) rarely happened.

Okay, so those were pretty much the worst parts about being pregnant in the summer. See? Not so bad! Here are the pros!!


PROS
- Less clothing required! I am someone who likes showing of my belly and enjoys wearing tight fitting clothing any chance I get. Layering the bump is fun during winter months, but honestly it was super nice not struggling to pull on pants/leggings, boots, sweaters, etc. and I loved just getting to wear maternity shorts, t-shirts and flip flops every day. I felt very free not being weighed down by thick heavy layered clothing (not that we have to wear THAT intense of winter clothes here in Houston but still... SOME is still required at times!)

- I'm always hot anyway - Summer months for me are spent being a hot sweaty wreck and hating life - and that's just how I feel after walking from inside a store to the car! I'm always so so hot and sweaty so why not just throw an extra 40+lbs and giant belly in there with it?? I didn't notice that I was any hotter (or more ornery) than any other summer of 95 degrees with 1,000% humidity.

- Temp right after baby is born - It has been SO nice having cooler weather right after Cami was born! I'm used to having a baby and then having MAYBE a few more weeks of good tolerable weather before it gets unbearable. This time, Cami was born and shortly after the weather got so nice. It's been SO good mentally for me. Not only am I in a better mood in general bc I'm not dripping with sweat 24/7, but it's also been so nice during this time of transition to be able to take my time with things. It would be SO insanely hard even just trying to learn how to load/unload 3 kids when it's so hot and I feel rushed and uncomfortable. It has truly been such a blessing during this time of "learning" and figuring out how to load/unload three kids has been so pleasant! The cooler weather also makes it easy to get out of the house, go on walks or just let the kids play in the backyard. I always say, summer in Houston must be like winter in Michigan! We are almost trapped indoors and really start to go stir-crazy! Having outside adventures as an option to take the big kids out is a gamechanger.

- School year - As I said above, it can be tough to fill the days during the summer - when it's 5 days a week all day every day. This go round, I am so grateful to have those 2 days a week alone with Cami while the big kids are at MDO/preschool - and we have an entire school year ahead of us to look forward to this! I think it would have been really tough (for me) if baby #3 had come at the end of a school year or beginning of the summer when the routine feels so off and there's no break days for mama.

Summer = bikini weather! June 19 - 25 weeks pregnant.

 June 10th - 23 weeks pregnant. More days filled with minimal clothing - score!!

Honestly, you get to a point in pregnancy where you don't really even
want clothing touching your belly anyway ;). July 28th - 30 weeks pregnant.

Hot July run - 30.6 weeks!

My last (insaaaanely hot) run with baby girl. Ran 5 miles of a 10K - walked the last
mile. No shame. 33 weeks pregnant. Braxton hicks the whole time.

First breath of fresh air in Houston - September 11th at 37 weeks pregnant.

Well there you have it! I'm grateful that I got to experience what a summer pregnancy was like this time and now I truly feel like there's no time of year that's better than the other to have a baby - even in Houston. There are pros and cons no matter what time of year your spend your pregnancy or give birth so if you're panicking - it's going to be okay! No time is perfect but God's time is. (Does that make sense? No? Oh well!) Yay pregnancies no matter the time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment